- Naps. I've always loved naps, and now I can just put a towel out on the balcony and get a little sunshine while I take a lil cat nap.
- Walks. This is something I never would do at home in PA, unless I first drove to a park to get to a decent walking location. I can be on the beach from my apartment in about 3 minutes, and if I feel like maybe stopping for a few drinks I'll head north, and if I really just want to walk and have time to myself to think and enjoy the day alone, I'll go south. (There are still plenty of bars on the way down south, but they're mostly resort/hotel bars.)
- Buying fruit and veggies and then figuring out what to do with them. On almost every street here, you can find a fruit and veggie vendor, so I usually stop and just buy a tomato and cucumber to make a simple salad for dinner. Before my internet connection crapped out, though, I had been looking up natural skin care concoctions.... so on Friday I went to Esperanza's to see what I could load up on. I ended up getting tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, apples, honey, coconut oil and an egg (Not all from Esperanza's) I'll post some of the recipes at the end of the blog.
- Reading. God Bless whoever created the Kindle, fo'realz. In the past week I've read How to Travel Full Time by Colin Wright, Finding the Gypsy in Me- Tales of an International House Sitter by Teresa Roberts, The Truth about Cruise Ships - A Cruise Ship Officer Survives the Work, Adventure, Alcohol and Sex of Ship Life by Jay Herring, and Backpacked - A Reluctant Trip Across Central America by Catherine Ryan Howard. (Can you tell where my mind has been wandering off to lately?)
- Annoying the cats. All you need is a string, a trash ball and one or more cats, and you have yourself hours and hours of furry entertainment. Just watch out for claws.
At Home Skin Care Recipes:
Honey has natural anti-oxidant and anti-microbial properties, which help protect skin against sun damage. It also absorbs impurities from the pores, and also keeps skin smooth and moisturized.
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp milk.
Mix honey and milk together, apply to face, let sit for 15 minutes, rinse with warm water.
Anti-Aging Honey Mask
1 Egg Yolk
1 Tsp honey
1 Tsp vegetable oil
Combine ingredients, apply to face, let sit for 30 minutes or longer, rinse with warm water
Puree 1 cucumber in a blender, drain and collect the juice. Add 2 teaspoons of honey into the juice and mix. Pour the mixture into a bottle. Apply on the face and neck area with a cotton pad in the morning and at night. Air dry it and rinse clean. Store the bottle covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
For more info and recipes about honey, go to http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/honey-and-skin-care.html
Quick and Easy Tomato Facial
One small-medium tomato
Cut the tomato in half and rub it on your face! (Sometimes I add a pinch of Sea Salt for a bit more of an exfoliant) Rinse. Done.
Tomato and Honey Glowing Skin Mask
1 medium tomato (juiced)
Equal amount of honey
Mix tomato juice and honey together, appply face and neck, let sit for 15 minutes, rinse with warm water, followed by a few splashes of cool water
Here's a good article, with more tomato skin care recipies, from the Daily Glow: http://www.dailyglow.com/articles/46/tomato-very-useful-for-skin-care.html
Cucumber Wrinkle Cream
1 egg white
2 Tbsp mayo
1/2 Tsp olive oil or avacado oil
Wash but don't peel cucumber. Cube and then blend with all ingredients.
Apply morning and evening, let sit for just a few minutes, and remove with tissue.
Ridiculously Easy Cucumber Mask
Cut into thin slices and apply all over your clean face. Just relax and leave them on for about 10 minutes. (Great for sun burn, rejuveniating your skin, and reducing overall puffiness of the face and under the eyes)
For more tips and info, check out :
Those are all the ones I've tried so far, but I'm planning on keeping my fridge stocked with fruits and veggies so I can grab a quick, healthy snack OR whip up some more at-home skin care products whenever the mood strikes.
If you have any of your own at home skin care recipes, please share!!!